Office Hours: Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 5:00pm

Motorcycle Accident

Postal carriers are just as likely to get into car accidents as any other driver—perhaps more so since they're on the road so much. However, if you've been hit and injured by a mail truck, the claims process is a bit more involved than it is with a regular accident, largely because you must deal with the government rather than with a private citizen. Here's a look at what to do after you've sought medical attention.

 3 Steps to Take if You're Injured in a Mail Truck Accident

1. Contact an Attorney

In a typical car accident case, a victim would file a claim with the liable party's insurance company. In a collision with a mail truck, the liable party is not just the individual mail carrier but the entire federal government for whom they work, which complicates the claims process.
The Federal Tort Claims Act has defined a strict set of rules that must be followed when filing a claim or lawsuit against a federal employee or government entity. An attorney understands the complexities of this law and will guide you through every step of the justice system, from initial filings and communications with other parties to negotiations and, if necessary, representation in court.

2. File Form 95
The FTCA requires an injured person to complete and submit Form 95. In this form, you'll describe what happened and identify a sum certain, which is the amount of damages you feel are owed. Your attorney can help you calculate damages and arrive at an appropriate figure.
Once you've completed Form 95, you'll submit it to the government body responsible for the accident—in this case, the United States Postal Service. You have two years from the date of the accident to file this form.

3. Negotiate a Resolution
The next step is to wait. The FTCA stipulates that any claimants must wait six months before filing a lawsuit so that the government has enough time to investigate the claim. In most cases, both parties want to avoid a courtroom trial, and because of this, settlement negotiations will often start once the six-month window has passed, a lawsuit has been filed, and both sides have conducted investigations. Your attorney will work to get you the highest payout possible, taking into account costs like medical bills, lost earnings, and pain and suffering.

If you've been in a car accident with a mail truck, contact us at Starks Byron. Serving the Acworth and Atlanta, GA, areas, our attorneys provides representation in a variety of personal injury law cases. From car, truck, and motorcycle accidents to slips and falls and dog bites, we are here to protect your interests and fight for your rights. Call (404) 905-3261 to schedule a consultation or visit us online to learn more about the firm.


Starks Byron Logo

1275 Shiloh Rd
Suite 2710
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Office: (404)737-6251
Fax: (404)994-1220

Call Us Today

Request An Appointment